The New Year has arrived and along with it comes more than half the people you know that have made the resolution to be more healthy and/or fit in 2015. We all know that resolution; we’ve all made it at one time or another. But for me, the New Year brings a whole lot of gift giving. It’s not the 12 days of Christmas, but birthday season. That means between now and June each of my nieces and nephews, as well as my own children, will have their birthdays. I’m one of those aunts/moms that loves to find something useful or educational as a gift, so here are some great ideas for gifts that will encourage kids and adults alike to get out and get to moving! WIth the help of a fitness-oriented gift, some of those New Years resolutions may become realities.
Here are several suggestions (in all price ranges) that are perfect for promoting fitness in children and adults alike!
FOR THE KIDDOS:
1. Toys that will get the kiddos moving… skateboards, ripsticks, bikes (with a helmet), scooters, hula hoops …. emphasize that fitness is fun!
2. Kids love music and kids love to dance. Keeping that in mind, Shaun T’s Fit Kids Club DVD (Beachbody) with it’s popping music will have kids of all ages and stages dancing their booties off.
3. If you don’t mind spending a little more for kids challenge older ones in your family with a home wall climbing kit. You can find these as accessories to backyard playsets or construct one in a garage or basement. Also, kids LOVE trampolines and will spend hours bouncing, flipping and flopping on one. This is great cardiovascular exercise as well as good for their little muscles.
4. A gift certificate for a class. Think ballet or dance, karate, or even horseback riding. Think of something that promises fun and adventure, but also keep in mind their own personalities.
5. Paid registration fees for a Color Run 5K or other fun walk/run. Register yourself as well and you’ll have a training partner on hand.
6. Gift certificate for a sports store like Academy or Dick’s Sporting Goods. If they like to run try a certificate to a running store like Fleet Feet so that they can be properly fitted for running shoes.
7. FitBit activity trackers.
These are all the rage right now and will sync right up with a smart phone to track number of steps taken in a day, heart rate, sleep patterns, and other personal metrics. It also has an option so that you challenge others who use a FitBit and compete against each other. A little friendly competition never hurt anyone!
9. A small iPod shuffle is perfect for working out/running.
You can throw in an iTunes gift card so that they can download a few hip tunes and they will be ready to go!
10. Earphones or ear buds that won’t fall off during a workout are always a welcome treat!
11. Easy at-home workout equipment like resistance bands, a bosu or ball help with all over fitness routines without going to the gym.
FOR THE FAMILY:
12. Indoor rock climbing adventure gift certificates (from REI.com) for an afternoon of family fun (and often entertainment!) White water rafting is also a fun family adventure!
13. SherrillTree offers tips and gear – like pulleys and snaps – for recreational tree climbing. Both adults and kids would love this!
14. Family gift cards to a trampoline center like Gravitopia or Pump-it-Up (Different cities have different names for these places).
15. My all-time favorite Twister.
Surly you remember this fun game from your own childhood! Imagine the laughs everyone would have with this!
A few guidelines for giving fitness related gifts; give them only to those you are close to, and those who would welcome and enjoy them! Base the gift on what the recipient does or wants to do, not on what you would like for them to do. Never give a fitness gift that suggests they lose weight or try a new sport, unless they are game. When in doubt, ask.
Have you ever given or received a fitness related gift? How did you enjoy it?