Would someone please explain to me how it is August already? I know I’ve been absent on the blog (I stay much more active on my social media), but where has this year gone?
In an effort to share a few going-ons in our life, I thought I would share ten things that I’m loving right now as well as give you an idea into our year! Who knows, maybe this will become a permanent addition to the blog.
1. It’s farmer’s market season and I love visiting our little local, Saturday market here in Cartersville. Audley & I do very little grocery shopping during the summer, choosing to focus on supporting local farmers and small businesses. If you have a chance, check out your own local markets. Eliminate the middle man and find much better quality food to enjoy!
2. Hit the outdoors and enjoy a waterfall hike. Our health is one of the most precious things we have, and it’s up to us to protect and nourish our health. One way to do this is get outside more, taking in natural Vitamin D, breathing in fresh air, and exercising our body, both internal and external. The North Georgia Mountains are abundant with waterfalls to choose from, but I’m sure there is one near you as well.
3. One of my resolutions this year was to dig a little deeper into Bible Study. I am loving Candace Cameron Bure’s devotional books geared towards women. From dealing with our own brokenness that we often don’t want to face, to discovering power in kindness, these little studies are simple yet impactful. I found my copies on Amazon and Dayspring and they are definitely worth investing in.
4. Another resolution I had for this year was to write more personal notes and remembering to send cards. This beautiful stationary from American Stationary really makes that goal easy, as I love the beautiful colors and textures of the paper.
5. Graphic tee-shirts for all occasions are all the rage right now, no matter your age. I love these cute shirts from Kelley & Co. Of course when your daughter is Kelley & Co you can’t help but love her work as well! Check her out on Facebook or Instagram!
6. I have 6 pounds of fresh huckleberries arriving tomorrow, so its time for a little jam session. Huckleberries aren’t native for us here in Georgia, but hopefully the ones arriving from Idaho will satisfy my craving for this sweet berry!
7. Head out one Saturday morning to catch sunrise on the lake/river/creek/secluded field with someone special. A thermos of coffee, fresh donuts, and a blanket are all you need for this inexpensive but romantic date. Audley and I love taking our canoe out for sunrise, but believe me, a blanket and viewing point are all your need!
8. From Kindergarten on I’ve maintained a summer reading list every year. I may not earn a free personal pan pizza or tickets to an Atlanta Braves baseball game any longer, but the satisfaction of finishing another great read is great in itself! This summer I’ve finished Mary Kay Andrews The Newcomer, The Long Weekend: Life in the English Country House by Adrian Tinniswood, When the Astors Owned New York by Justin Kaplin, The Fabulous Bouvier Sisters by Nancy Schoenberger and Sam Kashner, Below Stairs by Margaret Powell, and The Glitter & The Gold by Consuelo Vanderbilt. I also purchased several books about Laura Ingalls Wilder while on our road trip (see my social media) last month that I can’t wait to dive into.
9. Summer gardens are at their peak and even beginning to fade away, so now is the time to plan and organize your fall garden/container gardens with cooler weather vegetables. Start your seeds for sugar peas, collard greens, brussel sprouts, cabbage, spinach, parsley and the like for fresh veggies through the next season. Hopefully some of the summer heat will begin to loosen its grip soon and help make for a productive winter.
10. Finally, if you don’t know already, I’m going to be a grandmother in just two months! It’s a girl! I’ve spent several weekends up in South Carolina helping Gracie and Michael pull together the nursery this summer using paint and *gasp* wallpaper. The color scheme is just beautiful and I’m loving this gorgeous mural from Photowall that pulls everything together. It adds so much color and personality to this sweet room. I can’t wait to see everything completely arranged after her showers.
I hope August is full of simple pleasures and you find joy in the small things as we roll through the last days of summer!